For some acne sufferers, it feels like you’ve done everything the doctor says and you still don’t see results. Maybe you have tried multiple prescription medications or tried lots of different topical treatments, and you still have more pimples than you like. Thankfully, there are some natural treatments you can try, even if you feel like you’ve tried everything. Here are some suggestions.
You can make your own natural cleansers to help treat your acne, or you can buy them at your local health food store. If you want to make your own, here are some suggestions.
* Mix 1/4 cup plain yogurt, strained or Greek style, with 1 teaspoon raw honey (plain yogurt and raw honey are star ingredients in homemade acne cleansers). Mix in 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Apply as a cleanser, gently working your way over your whole face and rinsing with lukewarm water.
* Pineapple juice and enough baking soda to make a thin paste can be used as a facial cleanser. Pineapple juice is said to contain enzymes that help treat acne.
After cleansing, there are some natural topical treatments you can employ as well. These are not intended to be rinsed off. Here are some to try.
* Aloe vera juice can be applied to skin using a cotton ball.
* Gently rub a slice of cucumber over acne-prone areas before bed.
* Combine 3 parts filtered water with 1 part apple cider vinegar; mix well and apply with a cotton ball.
Masks are reputed to promote deep healing. They are left on the face for a period of time, and then rinsed off. You can make your own if you like. Here are some ideas.
* Crush an aspirin tablet and mix it with a tablespoon or so of Greek style or strained yogurt. If you like, mix in 1/4 teaspoon raw honey as well. Apply to your face, leave on for 20 minutes or so, and rinse.
* Peel and seed a cucumber. Puree in a blender with enough milk or plain yogurt to make a thick liquid. Apply and leave on for about half an hour.
* Mix 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon lemon or grapefruit juice. Apply and leave on for 20-30 minutes; rinse.
Store-Bought Natural Remedies
Some natural health companies have formulated their own acne treatments. They may be homeopathic, herbal, or both; they may be in supplement form to be taken orally, or they may be topical. Look for a formula that fits your age and stage in life, and which contains ingredients you’re comfortable with.